Untill this moment, for me, it means that in a second run, the app can open
instantly, mostly because of cached assets.
It does not mean that it will always partially work offline. It depends on
the need.
I think most apps made with web2py (and maybe web3py will be in the same
case) are dependent on server data and interactions.
Most data cannot be cached.
So it's my case.

One advantage of PWA is it being elligible for the A2HS (add to home
screen) funcionality.
Sometimes it is not viable for the user have installed a native mobile
version of a web app for long time, because the use is not frequent.

Basically, we need:
1 - a manifest.json
2 - icons referenced in the manifest.json, used to build the thome icon and
the splash screen
3 - a service worker js to be registered for the app, to be served at app
root. In web2py it is done with routes.py
4 - (optional) workbox to cache automatically all the app assets. (I
haven't got this working yet)

The first 3 steps are the only need to the browser display the A2HS pop up.

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_web_applications
>>> https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
>>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Progressive_web_apps
>>>
>>> best regards,
>>> stifan
>>>
>>> --
>>> Resources:
>>> - http://web2py.com
>>> - http://web2py.com/book (Documentation)
>>> - http://github.com/web2py/web2py (Source code)
>>> - https://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/list (Report Issues)
>>> ---
>>> Groups "web2py-users" group.
>>> an email to web2py+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/d4d39e2f-0ab5-400b-b46a-ceaa9ef3da18%40googlegroups.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/d4d39e2f-0ab5-400b-b46a-ceaa9ef3da18%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>

>> --
> Resources:
> - http://web2py.com
> ---
> "web2py-users" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/4b9537f9-013f-49b3-a72a-b4749ee64596%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/4b9537f9-013f-49b3-a72a-b4749ee64596%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

At.

Carlos J. Costa
Cientista da Computação - Esp. Gestão em Telecom

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/CAGsD4Nys-5ovCVsLsoRd_4jnJhk%2B%2BEjd1mao%3Df_1RQA3pY5mKg%40mail.gmail.com.