You are correct. I though you meant keeping the app open and trying to use
the database or loading another page.
In the case you close the app then you would need some kind of embedded
server (as I already mentioned) or serviceWorker (which I think is
something lighter but similar).

For the case where you don't close the app and only lose Internet
connection and/or db connection you can check using JS. It was in this
scenario that I meant any web app could do that.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/3b0361d2-bf53-4904-b8c7-f38ddab57a6a%40googlegroups.com.