On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM, JohnMc <maruadventu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "The shell scripts for making web2py specific sphinx docs I don't
> think apply
> to your question of what tools do I use to create rest (that is, the
> structured format of the content).
>
> But bottom line is still - you can easily just use a normal text
> editor.... "
> - Yarko
>
> Why of course I can create reST docs in VI if I wanted to, so long as
> I memorized the markup. But I think the last 6-7 comments on the
> thread prove my point -- reST utilization won't progress until such
> time as I can edit a document in an editor and not worry that it IS
> reST format.

While I understand your sentiment, I think you would need to apply this
(then) to most every wiki markup also - some have  simpler syntax, some are
different, but none that I know of (save html itself) have a WYSIWYG editor.

But when it comes to creating both a searchable web doc, OR a printed,
book-layout product, Sphinx + reST is what Pycon chose for some reasons.
Those (and many other docs) are full, and people manage to produce rich,
useful content.

Because of that, I question these sorts of "reasons" for not contributing to
docs ("Its too hard to learn!" is a tad easier than Python, a bigger chunck
easier than javascript, and people are still stumbling w/ html...)

I think this is a non-issue; if I'm right, then other attempts (as has been
the case for past year) will not make much of a difference, and something
else is at issue... going on...

If I am wrong, then we should see a veritable proliferation of docs written
in Scribus, OpenOffice, etc.... or even on blogger.com.

Regards,
- Yarko