It should work just fine, no issues with the database  as long as you
aren't doing something silly with it.  But, there are things to think about.

1.  Create a load balancer that will balance the requests to both systems
and will transfer requests should one system go down.  We use haproxy
2.  Sessions need to be stored in a shared place accessible to both
systems.  Use redis or some caching system or store sessions in the database

I'm on my way out the door or I'd give more details.  Hit me back up next
week if you are still stuck.

-Jim