I am completely out of my depth re this issue. But I just read the
following on the py4web group and wondered whether it might be related.

Proper use of modules
Q from Richard: Where do modules go?
A I think proper modules should be installed with pip but if you want to
distribute the source of
your own pure python module with an app I say place it under a new folder
apps/yourapp/modules and make sure there is an "__init__.py" in there. Do
not install it in
the path otherwise may interfere with modules with similar names used by
other apps in the
same apps. Related Q: So "__init__.py" lives in apps/yourapp/modules? A:
Not any module
will work this way. files in the module must use the "from . xyz import"
notation and not
"from thismodule import" notation
Any subfolder of an app that contains python code should have an __init__.py
empty one