Hello Jon,

yes, this should do it. It's also fine to import an export of an existing
DB. But you can just start your application, this should create the .table
files at the first, I think.

Regards
Clemens

P.S.: Concerning migrate and fake_migrate options have a look there:
http://www.web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/06/the-database-abstraction-layer#table_migrations
I usually just use migrate=True, if I'm working on the models on my
development system. On production I use migrate=False and lazy_tables=True.