On Aug 2, 7:21 pm, Massimo Di Pierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> > From: Armin Ronacher <armin.ronac...@active-4.com>
> > - or the global scope has different semantics and is reevaluated each
> >  request.
> > Turns out the latter is what happens in web2py.  There still is a race
> > condition but only a small one.  The bigger problem with this
> > however is
> > that this means the (not so) static definitions are reevaluated each
> > request.
> > Especially for the database table definitions (which cause many
> > function
> > calls) this means an enormous per-request penality if you have many of
> > them.  I even remember reading a case like this in the web2py
> > newsgroup
> > about someone who had twenty table definitions or something and the
> > majority of the request time was spent setting up the tables.

Easily fixed: In Production set migrate=False
This can be done globally by setting all tables to use migrate=migrate
& having migrate=True during development & migrate=False for
Production.
No big issue at all...

> > Now of course one can argue that this is the way it's intended.
> > That's
> > nice but for that, the documentation is lacking.

Seems clear enough to me in the Manual: pg 89

Thanks for the other suggestions - I'm sure that some of those can be
easily incorporated to make the toolkit better :)