I have been approached by a school group to update an existing
webpage. All Pro Bono. I intend to use their existing layout since
they like it. So I am following the guidelines in the AlterEgo "How to
make a good page layout". I have --

* created the subfolder in /static and added all the necessary css and
image files.
* added the html page in the controller under subfolder /default.
* added or modified the necessary <head> contents.

The view is being accessed as I get a ticket
<head>

<title>{{=response.title if response.title else request.application)}}
</title> <-- error
<link href="{{=URL(r=request,c='static',f='style.css')}}"
rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
{{include 'web2py_ajax.html'}}

... and more
The error is in the <title> line.

First time I have tried this using a preexisting layout so I know I
missing something fundamental. I presume I need an {{include}} and I
am just missing it?

JohnMc