Update:

I found a compiled version of Lynx for AIX, and even though it runs it
is unusable in PASE because of how the I/O works (5250 sends the whole
screen not each keystroke).

Then it occured to me I could also use SSH tunnels, so I started the
SSHD as described in:
http://www.youngiprofessionals.com/wiki/PASE/SSHSetup
(I had most of it in place)

and then used Putty to set up a tunnel from my windows PC
L9000 --> my400_ip_adr:9000

from FF I get to the main page of web2py but when I click on the admin
link (http://127.0.0.1:9000/admin/default/index)
it says:
Admin is disabled because insecure channel
-- huh??? --

If I try to set the tunnel as
L9000 --> 127.0.0.1:9000
I never get to web2py:
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

Since the browser did not work I tried lynx in the putty session
lynx 127.0.0.1:9000
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx my400_ip_adr:9000
admin disabled because unable to access password file

Arrggggh!!

Denes.