I think you might be asking something a bit different;  Webfaction has a URL
where it says it can server static pages much more efficiently than with
apache - is that what you're asking about?

If so, as I remember webfaction has a directory where static files for
serving should be put.... have you tried putting your web2py static there,
by application, and linkin application specific folders back to your web2py
application static directories?

- Yarko