oh really! No I haven't tried that.
That must be what Sean meant by "front-end Apache (or nginx) server"

I read some documentation (https://help.webfaction.com/index.php?
_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=26) about serving static
directories on webfaction but it seems complex because you need to
create a separate symbolic application for each static directory.
Or am I misunderstanding?

Richard