The big reason I started investigating web2py was multi-db
connectivity.

I've got a large dashboard application I'm about to start work on that
has data on MSAccess, MySQL, Pervasive, FileMaker and flat file DB
engines.  This all needs to come under one roof and interaction needs
to be seemless to the user.  For example, I'll need to have an order
creation form with relations to separate product, member and employee
databases.

Before finding web2py, I was told the best way to do this would be to
create a batch updated data warehouse.  I initially thought that was
an unnecessary step - why not just connect directly to all your data
sources, if you have that option?

But then I found one possible advantage of the data warehouse -
enabling "middle tier" development staff with tools like OOBase (which
cannot make multiple connections).  Table creation and write
permissions would be managed for those users, of course.

So, what do you think?  Any other reasons for creating a batch updated
data warehouse with a unified schema?  Or are direct connections to
multiple DBs the way to go?

Thanks.