I've been looking into building a data warehouse, and I'm not sure it
will make my life easier!

I would like to just come up with my "dream schema" and run update
scripts on a daily or event-driven basis, but there seem to be a
million concepts related to data warehousing: data marts, dimensions,
star schemas, snowflakes, EAV tables, and so on.

It seems more straight forward if I could just connect directly to the
operational systems.  I wonder if all that theory is really necessary
for a basic data warehouse.  Maybe I should just call it a
"centralized/ redundant DB."