On Dec 8, 1:24 pm, Thadeus Burgess <thade...@thadeusb.com> wrote:
> Any reason to not use both 1 and 2 if hdd space permits?

Think of them as 2 separate activities, addresssing 2 very different
needs / outcomes:

[1]  Database native backup:  provides dependable recovery path for
_this_ deployment (or any w/ this db backend), or any place where a
compatible version of this backend / server is available (e.g.
portable accross machines, but not backends).

[2]  csv data backup:  provides portable data backup, easily
accessible and manipulatable - e.g. can import into other backends,
can manipulate with spreadsheets, python, etc. easily.  Note:  May (or
may not) provide a complete one step recovery step for a running
system.

Then choose appropriately.
Note:  if you have [1] and _that_ db server available somewhere, then
you can always create [2] from it.  If [1] is a proprietary server,
and license may not be portably available, then [2] starts to look
like it has more utility.

- Yarko