"web2py.app.hydroserver.w2p.gz" (without the quotes) is the exact name
that web2py created for me when I selected the option "pack all" in
the admin interface.

Once I dropped the ".gz"--in other words, renamed
"web2py.app.hydroserver.w2p.gz" to "web2py.app.hydroserver.w2p", the
application installed fine.

Thanks to all for your responses. It looks like we should mark the
code that Jonathan found as a bug, given that web2py generated the
"*.w2p.gz" file that I used.

Jon