I agree that an on-line book is a bad idea, I never liked to read text
for humans while programming, it just distracts me, (even the nice
book from Massimo)
BUT
if we had something like the php documentation it would be awesome
The documentation (epydoc) is already quite good but the interface is
dreadful
If you look at
http://de.php.net/manual/en/function.preg-replace.php
this is really good
short description what is does (got it)
longer description of what the parameters mean (we would need some
improvement here but if this was wiki like I would be glad to help,
not that I would read this text)
most important part:
Examples (docstring test - highiliting missing in epydoc!!!)
and even more examples from users (plugin comments, with some minor
improvements like source highliting)
...also nice related functions and a hierarchy on the left

If you start a documentation project please try to copy the php online
documentation, if you do this as an open source web2py app I would be
willing to help programming and filling it with examples ...

what do you think ... most of the work would be to write a web2py app,
some get payed for that, so it is justified because parts can be
reused ....