If I've understood the arguments correctly,  I think there are 3 good
reasons to keep as-is:

1. We should assume the average user to be as lazy as possible and
make as few clicks as they can.  This means that with default=None the
first option will often be passively selected.  i.e. many of your
users will appear to come from 'Afghanistan'.  Who wants that!

2. IMO form designers should adopt the doctor's mantra:  "First, do no
harm to the data".  Passively accepting spurious choices does harm.

3. Changing the default will break some of my previously intended
default behaviour when I upgrade.  The case for change in this
instance is not greater than the need for backwards-compatibility.

Just my 3 cents.
--D