No, you cannot rely on the user. Users are stupid. The system needs to
be as simple as possible for the users to use the system to get their
work done. There is no need to bother the user with "Form errors:
Value must be uppercase". This wastes the users time to have to
remember to input in upper case.

You could also argue that there are lots of functions in django that
don't do what you "expect" them to do. We can't change documented
functionality of web2py just because one user does not "expect" it to
work the way it does. The keyword here is documented, IS_UPPER is
documented to act this way.

using strict=True is good. but how can we assure this change does not
get lost in the google group never to arise again until you look at
the source code and realize its there.

-Thadeus