Why should it be ran by www-data ?

All of the web2py files are owned by the user that is executing cron.

thadeusb:www-data 775

I guess I could always try executing a .sh file from cron and then
execute the command from that. However, I don't really know how to
narrow down this problem unless I start downgrading the web2py version
one by one to see when it stopped working the way it does on my other
server.

-Thadeus