Well, my suggestion would be forget the XLS format for the first
iteration. Use CSV. If you're not concerned with formulas, that's the
cleanest route, and included in the default python install. (csv
module). I use it all the time for my load test frameworks I build.

It's not only very easy to use, but since it's VERY easy to export
from excel, it shouldn't be much of a burden on the users. In a second
iteration, if the license matches, you could do an import from xls
format.