i *think* that it will work with you existing schema.  I have postgres
setup with 2 databases ( i think that is the right term -  i pass the -
d <dbname> option to the psql command), and web2py works fine with
them.  I do all my database migrations manually as well since there
are certain upgrades web2py and postgres can't handle.  i never fully
understood what postgres means by database and schema, so i hope i'm
not leading you down the wrong path.

I don't use the numeric type, so i can't offer much help there, sorry.

cfh