I got http://pp4gae.appspot.com/ to work (though slowly) except that I
couldn't update user information. When I tried molhokwai's version, I
couldn't add pages or posts.

I think a Python blog on GAE could be Python's killer app - just as
people learn PHP to work with Wordpress and Drupal, they would learn
Python to work with their blog. I don't know if it would be as easy to
install/deploy as Wordpress, because of Google's legal and technical
restrictions. They might not allow "Click here to automatically set up
your blog."