I have experienced this under high capacity on my web2py sites. I have
not found a solution to the issue as of yet. All I can say is I have
done AB testing comparing different python web frameworks with a basic
database IO, web2py just doesn't perform under high load.

Perhaps it is a coding issue with *how* you are caching your queries.
When caching in ram, *each* web2py process has to cache its own
version of the select. So if you reload a couple of times, apache(  or
your web server ) might determine it needs to spawn another process,
which then in turn needs to cache all of the queries again.

Solution:

A) Use memcached
B) or cache on disk AND ram, so if a new process starts, doesn't have
it cached in ram, it will pull from the disk much quicker than
re-executing the query.

A is better.

--
Thadeus