I tried changing to cron=False in web2py.py.  No impact on problem.
Same two-laptop setup as described previous.  Happens even on  pages
that contain very little.  Chrome DevTools shows same problem as
before:  One or more the .js/.css/.png files are delayed by 20 to 25
seconds latency.

The problem is also unaffected by whether I run web2py under winpdb or
directly from the command line.   If I interrupt during the latency
while running under winpdb,  I typically see

* MainThread in rocket.py start() on line 301
* Thread1 in threading.py wait() called by Queue.py get() called by
rocket.py run() line 405
* Remaining 10 threads all in socket.py readline() called by rocket.py
read_request_line() line 825

I'd send you the full stack traces but winpdb doesn't seem to support
copying selections. (argggh!)

Hope this is useful.
Mike