Alas, no change  with

Version 1.81.4 (2010-07-17 16:14:44)

One more little observation: In general, I can load a page from
either, but not both,  of the browsers repeatedly and not get the
problem. It happens with alternation, as discussed previously, but I
now notice that I seem to be able to cause it by reloading on either
laptop 10-15 times and then it will happen first time I click the
other.

Here's the simplest controller and view I've been able to reproduce it
with:

def index():
    """
    example action using the internationalization operator T and flash
    rendered by views/default/index.html or views/generic.html
    """
    response.flash = T('Welcome to PeerTool')
    return dict(message=T('Hello World'))

--------------------

{{extend 'layout.html'}}

{{try:}}{{=H2(message)}}{{except:}}{{=BEAUTIFY(response._vars)}}
{{pass}}
PeerTool is an easy-to-use web application for collaborative problem
solving. To use it, you and your group need to:
<ol>
<li>Register and confirm your identity by email</li>
<li>Watch the short tutorial screencast below</li>
<li>Start collaborating!</li>
</ol>

The db.py is only a little more complicated.  Sets up logging, auth,
local_imports a module, and defines a couple of tables.

Hope this is useful,
Mike