I am in doubt that web2py is the bottleneck.
My recent tests on a modest cloud server (2GHz CPU, 1G RAM):
1_000, 5_000, and 10_000 requests in total, 100 concurrent requests -
16 milliseconds per request with no HTTP server errors.
The RDBMS and the HTTP server in question were Postgres and Cherokee.