I've posted an updated slice with an in-depth treatment of logging in
web2py.
http://web2pyslices.com/main/slices/take_slice/91

Based on our earlier discussion
http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/d3b534113a904cd7/4d3f9f10d402210d?lnk=gst&q=logging#4d3f9f10d402210d

The slice addresses the issues of application-level logging, once-only
configuration, and simpler syntax. It offers an approach that fully
leverages Python's native logging capabilities, allows for full
flexibility in configuration, and doesn't interfere with existing
logging implementations.

Some notes:
-I decided against creating a separate contrib module for the code as
it would impede flexibility and obscure the simplicity of solution.
If included in the framework, I think it should be as model code.
-I abandoned the cache approach to creating singleton loggers, and
just inspect handlers instead.  (Logger caching was causing problems
on GAE)

Let me know what you think.  Thanks Massimo, Iceberg...