I found I need to login to the machine and as www-data run the
application server once from python as in

python web2py.py supply an admmin password with -a and then crtrl-c to
break out.

One clue is if the NEWINSTALL file is still there in the web2py
directory then it won't work until the above is performed. The Apache
wsgi interface will then work for loading applications.

I haven't has a chance to figure out why this is, the permissions for
the entire file tree were owned by www-data but still application

Ron