If we're making an app for more general use, we might consider making
the voting method configurable (e.g., single vote, multiple vote,
rating, etc.).

Note, using ratings (i.e., "range voting") can be tricky. If the
winner is to be the option with the highest average, then it's
important to make sure everyone provides a rating for every option.
Otherwise, an option that gets a single rating of 5 (and no other
ratings) will beat an option that gets 99 5's and one 4.
Alternatively, you could automatically assign the lowest rating value
(e.g., 1) to any un-rated options, but voters would have to be made
aware that that is the consequence of failing to rate an option.

With range voting, you also have to consider the possibility of skewed
or bi-modal distributions. For example, suppose Logo A gets 80 5's and
20 1's (mean = 4.2) and Logo B gets 10 5's and 90 4's (mean = 4.1).
Logo A has the higher mean, but a substantial minority absolutely hate
it, whereas almost everyone really likes Logo B so would probably be a
better choice. These effects can be mitigated by using a trimmed mean
or median as the selection criterion. Alternatively, the ratings can
be treated as (tied) ranks, and a rank-based method (that allows for
tied ranks) can be used. Actually, a good idea is once the ratings are
collected, try several different scoring methods and see if they yield
a consistent winner -- if not, you have to decide which criteria are
most important (e.g., do you prefer having a logo that many people
love but some people hate, or a logo that everyone likes but doesn't
necessarily love).

Anthony