some minor progress.  The following now lets thge loaded component
work, but does not do the autocomplete .

    addform =
SQLFORM.factory(Field('item_cat'),widget=SQLFORM.widget.autocomplete(request,
db.cat.name, id_field=db.cat.id) )

Is there something special I need to do to get the autocomplete to
work inside a loaded component?