On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:41 AM, David Marko <dma...@tiscali.cz> wrote:
> I have the same opinion. Its too confusing, too many color
> backgrounds, quite heavy ...

Yes, I agree to this as well (despite the fact that I proposed it
myself). I'll keep working on this, so I'm sure we'll reach a solution
that most of you feel happy about.

I have some questions first (for now regarding only the site and design views).

1. How often do you use the "exposes" functionality (the links that is)?
2. How often do you click on web2py logo in the upper left corner to
visit the web2py homepage?
3. How often do you use the jump-to links in the design page (the ones
that list the section names in upper right corner)?
4. Would you have anything hidden by default?

Please answer the above questions before reading on.

My ideas are these:

* Loose the header altogether and keep the tabs only. The tabs would
be simple buttons that highlight when you visit an appropriate
section.
* Add a large button in upper left corner that does different things
depending on context. For example, in design view, it goes to the site
view, in site view, it does nothing, in edit view, it goes to design
view... etc (in any case we can discuss what this button will do)
* Hide 'exposes' (slide it up or somehow tuck it in)
* Reorganize the file list so it's easier to navigate
* Add searching functionality to the file lists (I actually have a
very cool solution that won't require any hacking of the template
except adding a text input box.
* Collapse app sections by default.
* And yeah, maybe keep the main area white.

I'll also work on an alternative color scheme. I thought black-orange
was a done deal, so I stuck to it, but if I can change it, it'd be
great.

--
Branko Vukelić

bg.bra...@gmail.com