I have Firebug on Firefox and the mystery is I could not find the
contributor of the extra space. I finally took a copy of the old
layout.html and put it in place to run the application after fixing
the obvious things like css and js files moving. This gave me the
original style sheet driven separation of images. Next I moved pieces
of the new layout to the old layout until the extra spacing came back.
I found if I use the new layout.html DOCTYPE line I get the extra
spacing between rows of images but if I use the old DOCYPE it works as
expected with spacing as defined by CSS.

New DOCTYPE
<!DOCTYPE html>

Old DOCTYPE

This is Firefox 3.6.12. I tried Google Chrome 8.0.552.200 beta and got
the same results. All is on Linux but Firefox on Mac is the same, I
have not tried IE yet.

Maybe the HTML5 DOCTYPE in the new layout brings something else into
play so I am looking at a symptom not a cause. I wouldn't want to
believe it is a browser bug given Firefox is Mozilla based and Chrome
is Webkit with both yielding identical visual results.

Thanks,
Ron