Hi,
I'm not sure,  but I think Napoleon wants to save the id key of the
'master table' into the master_id field of the 'detail' table.
I'm not sure how it works with crud.  I would suggest that you use
SQLFORM and set the field after form.accepts.  Take a look at this
link:

http://www.web2pyslices.com/main/slices/take_slice/102

This is a short-cut way of linking tables, but notice how the id is
set.
Hope this helps.
-D