Yes, when you get those messages, the language files should be
overwritten and then you need to go in and manually translate them. If
the string is not there or it is not translated, then you do not get
the message translated.

Check the file timestamp. Is the file being updated?
Check the file permissions. Has your app permission to overwrite it?
Try force it... press the "update_languages" button. Any change?