So I tried Nathan's suggested test case above and the return value of
request.vars.junk is always None, regardless of whether the checkbox
is checked or not. I'm not seeing the case where request.vars is empty
when the checkbox is unchecked. In a nutshell, unless I'm doing
something wrong, it's not working. I'm using web2py version 1.89.5.