This is very interesting. I believe this would change the GPL license
reach for MySQL. The regular Python driver is a wrapper around the C
MySQL client library so as a user of that driver you have embedded a
part of MySQL into your application. Using the pure Python driver
means you are now using wire protocol only to get to the MySQL server.
This becomes more like using Apache or Linux for that matter. Now that
I use PostgreSQL I prefer that database but sometimes I run into
situations dictating "Must use database X".