Thank you Annet.

I used ssh to create an application directory as you indicated. web2py
created an empty application stub when it recognized the new directory
in webapps/web2py/web2py/applications.

I then tried to pack the welcome application via the web interface
"pack all" button, but could not: "Internal error".

Ideas?
And why is this occurring at all? This seems to be a larger problem
than just not being able to use the create app buttons in the web
interface.

Dave