I have seen LGPL mostly for C libraries like gstreamer so it is
possible for projects to link to them.
JBOSS the RedHat JEE platform also states that although JBOSS is GPL
there is no requirement for applications written to run on the app
server be GPL unless they take a piece of the platform that is under
GPL and modify it for their own purposes and then include that as part
of their work.

for web2py I can live with GPL with the statement from Massimo or LGPL.

Ever look at the Python license? Listed as GPL compatible, but allows
derived works that embed the interpreter. That is a hard to figure one.

http://docs.python.org/license.html