On Dec 16, 8:47 pm, "Branko Vukelic" <branko.vuke...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > Now that there's a truly standalone DAL, what if someone wants to use
> > that in an application? What about some of the other contrib modules,
> > like markmin?
>
> This is a question only Massimo can give a qualified answer to. The following
> is merely
> my opinion:
>
> Yes, they should share the code. They wouldn't be _required_ (if you ask me),
> but they
> should. If they modify it in any way, or source the code from it, they should
> share both
> DAL _and_ their app.

I guess it seems odd to say if you build an app using the entire
web2py framework, then you can close source your app, but if you build
your app using only part of the web2py framework, you must share your
app. For example, suppose someone plugs the DAL into Flask and builds
an app, should they be required to make the app itself (not the DAL
part of it) open source? Doesn't seem consistent with the logic of the
general exception for applications.