I'm thankful this community is here. I'm working on a project for the
Sahana-Eden team [1]. It calls for running web2py as a service. I was
thankful to find documentation in the 3rd edition Official Web2py Book
[2]. Sadly, when I follow the docs I can't get the service running. /
etc/init.d/web2py start returns no errors; restart returns no errors,
and status returns nothing. Netstat tells me the interface isn't
listening on port 8000.

I did use the scripts/web2py.ubuntu.sh script, and did as instructed
in the documentation. I made changes to some of the paramaters near
the top of the script; I've made it available as a pastebin [3].

I've double-checked the daemon directory, and believe it to be
correct. I have created web2py user with no password (using useradd);
as web2py is new to me, I'm not sure that's necessary, but it has been
done. Web2py has precisely the same mode as a working service (webmin
in this case) and is owned root:root. Mode is rwxr-xr-x.

I would be very grateful for any guidance, suggestions, improvements,
encouragement you can offer.

Ultimately, it's the high school students that have committed to the
project that will benefit - I'm in unfamiliar territory and learning
along with them.

Rik

[1] http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/BluePrintlivecdinstaller
[2] http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/11#Start-as-Linux-Daemon