Yup... I think you should do that in the controller before you pass it. It's a two second job so not hard to do.
That and session.variable=-1 is well... -1 it should be variable-=1.
On the other had, you may be going for -1 :P and you may be using a special loop or something that needs to change as the page is formated. Always exceptions when you have to print from the top down and build the page before sending it to the client. :D
BR,
Jason