Thank you both for your replies.
I have got the favicon bit working. I read a bit online and exported
the inkscape .svg to .png using export bitmap, rather than Save As
png. It now looks perfect.

> I'm not sure moving files via admin is possible -- you're probably better
> off just doing that via the OS.

I didnt realise that I could access the application files directly!
Now my files are tidy! Thank you.

> The css and js files in the /static/css and /static/js folders are the ones
> used by the current scaffolding app (you can see that they are the
> ones included in the head of 'layout.html'). The files in the root /static
> folder are probably from the older scaffolding app -- they may be there
> because you first downloaded an older version of web2py and later unzipped
> the newer version on top of the old version.

Thank you again! That is exactly what has happened, I have upgraded a
few times. I will delete the unused files.
All the other information was also very useful thank you Anthony.
I have kept the logo file in .css.

One more quick question......
The scaffolding app has a nice menu bar below the logo. Showing 3
menus. 2 of which 'drop down'. How do I edit these lists? I have
managed to edit the rest of th page using the html, css, static files
and the controller. It looks like it has something to do with
superfish java but beyond that im stumped.

Thanks again