I disagree! Your playing with things that shouldn't be played with.

Not to mention that now you have just broken some of my apps that perform
case-sensitive queries in postgres.... this is just plain wrong in so many
ways.

Add a new identifier to DAL... give me

db(db.table.name.like('%printer%'))

and then for case insensitive

db(db.table.name.ilike('%printer%')).

like would perform the actual operation that would happen from the RDBMS,
and ilike can be a web2py playing god version that makes sure all rdbmses
act the same.

Case sensitive search is one of the benefits of using postgres instead of
mysql!

--
Thadeus