In my opinion, the only advantages Django has are its admin interface
and the perks of a bigger and more established community, including
more stable documentation, better results when you google, a big
community on stack overflow, more name recognition (people won't
hesitate to let you do their project in Django because they've heard
of it, you have to convince them with web2py).

Some of these things have a fairly big impact, but overall web2py is
much simpler, more powerful, and gives you less headaches. If you're
willing to be more adventurous in terms of sifting through discussion
threads and google results and digging through the source instead of
usually finding a blog post that explains what you need to do, you
definitely get a major reward for working with web2py. Once you find
out how to do something, it's almost always simple and elegant. It can
just be hard to find out about it.

As far as being ready for production, it's doing fine on my vps after
following a few simple tutorials. I don't know how it scales yet, but
I think Massimo knows his stuff as well as the Django crew. And
doesn't choosing Python in the first place indicate priorities other
than raw speed? Developer productivity is a much more important factor
for the vast majority of sites, even ones with potential to be fairly
popular.