You can't give permissions to users,  only to groups.  Therefore the
only way to give permissions to a unique user is through their unique
group. The book gives an example where this is used in the section
Authorization and CRUD.

You don't need to use the inidividual user groups. I have never needed
to use them. Just turn them off and do your own thing:
auth.settings.create_user_groups = False