I ran a test on my system (unfortunately I'm in a Windows world...) and it
seems to be doing something similar, albeit without any error messages.
 When I start web2py, then start the web server, all is fine.  Stopping the
web serverfrom Tcl doesn't result in any error (or any message for that
matter.)  When I try to access the website in this state, the browser will
just sit there with a "waiting for response..."  I can restart from Tcl and
it will start just fine upon browser refresh.  The "waiting for response..."
doesn't turn into an error message (using Chrome) until I shut down the
whole thing.