You should be able to host web2py apps just about anywhere you can run
Python, including many shared hosts. For VPS/dedicated hosting, I think a
common setup is Ubuntu and Apache. See the book for deployment instructions
(http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/11), including pointers to some
one-step deployment scripts (
http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/11#One-Step-Production-Deployment).

For shared hosting, I've seen strong recommendations for WebFaction (and
some for DreamHost as well). For VPS/cloud hosting, I've seen
recommendations for VPS.net (I think that's where web2py.com is hosted),
Slicehost, DreamHost, Rackspace, Amazon EC2, and a few others. There's also
a new cloud service in beta called DotCloud (www.dotcloud.com) -- they have
a tutorial for setting up web2py (
http://docs.dotcloud.com/static/tutorials/web2py/). There are also several
new Python-specific cloud hosts in beta: www.pydra.com, www.apphosted.com,
www.ep.io, www.stable.io.

Of course, there's also Google App Engine, which web2py can handle very well
(http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/11#Google-App-Engine), though it's
got some limitations, which may affect your application design.

Anthony