I'm currently using one web2py instance and and then running multiple sites
using code in routes.py.  This example from Jonathan should be helpful:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/iq_YAstVUCI/pr65jJRY6JwJ

This works fine but is not the most efficient way for high volume sites.

Various people have asked for Apache Virtual Host configuration details to
get this working in the most efficient way but as far as I'm aware no one
has come up with a step-by-step how-to yet.