Thanks for the feedback. I think the new parameter-based system is probably
preferred in general because it's easier, but there are things it cannot do
that can only be done with the pattern-based system, so we probably need to
maintain good examples for both. But perhaps we could at least include some
additional guidance within the example files (e.g., the pattern-based
example file could say "try the other file first -- use this one only if you
need the additional flexibility of the pattern-based system" -- and maybe
reference the book chapter).

Best,
Anthony