How would I go about creating a new file using the Web2py template
system? Would something like this be a practical way to use it?

Example:

template_source_path = ./static/my_readme_template
template_target_path = ./static/README

Template Example:

contents of static/my_readme_template

# {{=plugin_name}}
static/{{plugin_name}}/README
This file was created from a template /static/my_readme_template

# Requirements
{{=plugin_name}] no longer requires mako!

# General Notes
In the plugin_plugin's static directory you will find the templates
used to create new plugins. At this writing templates have been
created to make skeletal plugin menu, controller and about text.
Others will probably be added over time.

What would the controller function contain to get a user variable and
then do the file creation? I want to eliminate the usage of mako for
templating in this applicaiton if it is practical and makes sense, it
would be nice to have no dependencies if possible.

http://code.google.com/p/uc-plugin-dev/

Thank You,